Walking your dog is probably a daily activity for every one of us dog owners. In fact, walking the dog is also a discipline, there are really a lot of knowledge points inside it ~
The topic we’re going to discuss today is.
How To Choose The Right Dog Collar For Walking
When walking a dog, collars and leashes are essential. The choice of collar is also learned, the current mainstream collar on the market are strip collar, strap collar, and one is for the burst of jumping on people to inhibit the adjustment of the collar.
First of all, can not choose too narrow collar, at least up to the width of our two fingers. Of course, I am referring to the general adult dogs, puppies and small dogs can be determined according to their own circumstances. And when the dog on the collar, we also want to debug the size of the collar, basically if you can add two fingers between the collar and the dog’s neck, then this is the most appropriate width. This width, the dog only in the burst will feel the pressure, other times is very comfortable and not easy to break free. In addition, for long-haired or curly-haired dogs, the owner can choose a cylindrical collar, which will reduce the situation of stuck hair.
Then I will talk about the details.
- 1, try to choose leather or nylon material collar. I have seen a lot of fancy collars, this kind of at home with a belt, or to take pictures with a belt is possible. But not suitable for use when walking the dog, because the comfort is poor and not strong, there is no security risks.
- 2, try not to give the dog’s collar with bells or other oversized decorations. Bells because the distance between the collar and the dog’s ears is very close, especially the kind of particularly loud brass bells, the sound is really big. Long-term wear on the dog’s hearing will cause a lot of damage.
As for the oversized decorations, you just need to pay a little attention to the state of the dog when running you will understand. I once saw a participant who came to the class, he gave his dog a gold long-life lock hanging on the collar. Of course we have to understand that this is his good wishes for the dog. However, once the dog runs up, that gold, nearly 20 grams of long life lock began to bounce up and down, either smashing on the dog’s chin, or on the dog’s chest …… you say the dog can understand you so heavy love?
This kind of strip collar is the most common for us. So the owners who have used it, more or less understand that it is defective. For many dogs with bursting behavior and brave type, this collar often strangles the dog, causing it to cough, vomit, and also cause a surge in the dog’s eye pressure. So you have to learn to train your dog, otherwise we will really hurt them unintentionally. This kind of collar is actually best suited for dogs that have been trained to follow along and stay on their owner’s side or behind them during walks.
The harness type is a very popular style in recent years, and many owners who are concerned about their dogs being strangled are choosing this type of collar. Harness collar was first used in foreign countries to adjust the dog walking behavior functional collar. But after the inflow into the country, the adjustability is almost completely lost, but the indulgence is greatly enhanced. Many owners who have used this type of carrier must have had the experience of being pulled by the sled. And for large dogs pulling and bursting, this kind of strap collar will make the owner feel very headache. So, a originally used as a functional adjustment of the back belt collar, why has become permissive, where is the problem?
The reason is that many owners choose this back buckle type, the connection of the leash behind the back, this connection does not work much to inhibit the effect when the dog bursts. Moreover, for the kind of walks like to walk in front of the owner as the boss of the dog, this kind of back strap collar often plays a negative enhancement effect. Because although you are pulling back, but in fact is following the dog’s footsteps in all the way forward. So in the dog’s eyes, it is pulling you forward. Therefore, when you apply pressure, the dog will instead push harder. Because the direction is always forward, the dog feels that by pushing harder, it can command and control the direction and speed of its owner.
In fact, what is really recommended is this front buckle chest strap, this design will have an adjusting effect. When the dog has a burst, you pull the leash, it will naturally turn in the direction you pull, rather than pulling back such negative enhancement. Turning will make the dog’s attention back to the owner, so that the reckless forward behavior is interrupted, so as to play an adjusting role. Using this type of collar with the correct dog walking method is a good way to train your dog on walks, so check your strap collars and see which side the interface is on~
Inhibition Adjustment Type Collar
There are many kinds of collars in this category, p-chains, spike plate chains, electric neck collars, muzzle collars, etc. This type of collar is more suitable for dogs with bursting, jumping, aggressive tendencies, as well as aggressive dogs. But the premise is, under the guidance of professionals to use. Of course, many people ask me when the problem of explosive charge, I will recommend them to use p-chain, but p-chain in the use of several points.
- 1, p-chain is needed to give the dog in the burst to be stimulated, the dog’s burst behavior to produce a warning and pain impression, in order to correct the dog’s burst behavior. But be sure to pay attention to the strength of the use, the emphasis on reminders! In other words, pay attention to the dog’s state, when he has the desire to burst, pull the p-chain first. This is a small warning, meaning: to rush? Hope to think twice! Both a reminder, but also an interruption of its current attention to the behavior.
- 2, the technique is very important, when wearing the p-chain, to ensure that the long end in our hands. When putting the p-chain on the dog, when walking, make sure that the dog is on our side and not in front. At the same time, we should hold the p-chain in a position directly above the dog’s head and neck, and the p-chain should be basically vertical. That is, close to the root of the dog’s ears, but do not grasp too tightly.
- 3. When using the p-chain to pull the dog, it must be pulled upward rather than backward. Relax immediately after a short, quick application of force, mainly to stop the burst of behavior and give it a moment of stimulation. You can’t keep lifting upward without letting go, as this can be very dangerous for the dog. Also, be sure to remember that the p-chain is only used during training. When the dog’s behavior is corrected, it is timely to change back to the ordinary collar, long-term use of p-chains, may cause psychological shadows on the dog.
In fact, the mouth collar is also very good in correcting the bursting and aggressive aspects, but today we will first talk about it here, and later will continue to talk about more dry goods, please continue to pay attention to me it ~
If you are lucky, a dog will accompany us for more than ten years, I do not know if anyone has measured, the dog’s life will accompany people after how many miles, choose a suitable collar, train the dog to develop good walking habits, so that they can be happy, accompany us for a walk it ~